Re: Of news readers, slurpers, and servers...

On Tue, Jul 06, 1999 at 01:22:59AM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 05, 1999 at 07:07:41PM -0400, Jonathan Lupa wrote:
>
> On Windows one program does everything from downloading the news to
> presenting it to the user.
> On Unix systems the program
> responsible for storing and downloading the news is normally different
> to that which the user runs directly.

OK, sounds just like mail. MTA meets MUA, mini-MTA (fetchmail) to let the
servers talk. Im on it. =)

> The server I'd recommend is leafnode (disclaimer: I maintian the
> package).

Having this kind of support is good enough for me to try it!

>  It's not the fastest at downloading, but it does support
> multiple servers and is designed for use on dialup links.

OK! Downloaded it, set it up, read the docs, and have some questions.

1. Support for multiple servers is done through the suplement= setting.

In my situation, I have a primary news server that is going to get me the
standard stuff (c.l.c++.m), and then a secondary news server that handles
palm GCC coding (news.massema.com).  All posts to the pilot.* groups need
to go through the massema server, and all others need to go through
the main server.  Is this possible with leafnode?

2. I would like to set groups to never expire. Is that done by setting their
groupexpire setting to some insanely large rational number. Like, just this
side of countably infinite?

3. I would like to get certain groups all the time, no matter what.  Leafnode
looks to be going out of its way to be smart about this. Can I override
this intelligence to make it get me groups that I never read (because sometimes
I'm a lazy guy)?

Thanks for all the help!  I'll start playing with news clients once I get my
server working!

-Jonathan
~
jjlupa@hushmail.com