Tab Tab program/command line editing

If you hit the tab key twice in a row it lists all available commands.
This seems like a useless thing because I see no way of sending the
output to 'less' and most of the 1917 possibilities scroll off the
screen.  Anyway my problem is I get the same result if I hit the Esc key
twice.  I'm learning command line editing and when I use Esc-b for
example and then Esc-f I get the following,
Display all 1971 possibilities? (y or n)

I searched with 'apropos' and did a search in the bash man page and
can't find the program that lists the commands or where this emanates
from.  I'd like to get rid of it unless someone else has a better idea.
Anyone know the name of this program?
Thanks,
kent