Re: Tab Tab program/command line editing

ktb wrote:

> If you hit the tab key twice in a row it lists all available commands.
> This seems like a useless thing because I see no way of sending the
> output to 'less' and most of the 1917 possibilities scroll off the
> screen.  Anyway my problem is I get the same result if I hit the Esc key
> twice.  I'm learning command line editing and when I use Esc-b for
> example and then Esc-f I get the following,
> Display all 1971 possibilities? (y or n)
>
> I searched with 'apropos' and did a search in the bash man page and
> can't find the program that lists the commands or where this emanates
> from.  I'd like to get rid of it unless someone else has a better idea.
> Anyone know the name of this program?
> Thanks,
> kent

	No, No.  This feature is *not* part of the shell.  It is called
'readline' and is a lib that bash is linked to.  Read the GNU info
file on it, that has the complete list of available key commands
(it is totally configurable).
	Kent, please reconsider :-), I can't believe you would want to do
without this feature, the command history and filename completion
(the tab key) features are a Godsend.

--
Ed C.