Re: debian and LINUX 5.2 (6.0?)

First, I would go to www.linux.org to see if the laptop is listed under their pages for help. If there were no pages with the laptop model, I would search altavista for something like +Linux +mylaptop. Second, if it is a redhat disc, then go to www.redhat.com or call their technical support at whatever the number says on the box. After all, that IS what you paid for, right? The CD was free, just $70 for tech support and a pretty box.

From: Juhani Ilves <jilves@tds.net>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: debian and LINUX 5.2 (6.0?)
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 08:59:02 -0500

Looking for help for Backpack CDROM.

I bought this LINUX 5.2 from Office Max and in the bottom of box says that:

Technical support provided by RedHat Inc. under contract by MacMillan
Digital Publishing USA.
ISBN: 1-57595-199-1

I was in MacMillans WEB page but it looks like they are only sale company
as Office Max as well. So, they don't have any technical support service.

Anyway, someone should know this problem.

I have tryed with everything what I can read from books I bought and what
is available in Internet, about installation of  Linux.

First, because I couldn't find method to install linux to my Laptop, INNOVA
BOOK 475CDS. 100 MHz Pentium, 32 MB RAM, 4 GB HD, swabable Floppy and CDROM
4x (means, CDROM and Floppy drive are not available at same time, only one
at the time). Installation program needs always floppy when CD is started.

Second, I bought External CDROM 4X SONY, Model # CDU55E, Backpack station.
Connected to the LPT1 port.

When I run my installation program of the LINUX 5.2. Procedure is next:

   Welcome to Red Hat LINUX
   Register your purchase through our web site http//www.redhat.com

steps:     -PCMCIA               NO
           -Local CDROM          OK
             Insert your Red Hat CD into your CDdrive now
                                 OK
cdrom type -Other CDROM          OK
Load mod   -Backpack CDROM       OK
Mod Opt.   -Autoprobe            OK

in this point I always get an error display:
          ERROR: I can't find the device anywhere on your system!

Device is on my system and it works fine with MS-Windows

I suppose that problem is the installation program. When it uses Autoprobe
for find devices it comes back from the line checking too fast. Program
does not have delay long enough, even it finds device it does not know it.
Always when I push Autoprobe OK button, I can see the read lihgt in CDROM,
first ~ 0.2 sec short read light, and then right after that ~ 4 sec long
read light. But error appears already before first light.

I had an other Bacpack CDROM with Mitsumi drive. It was found sometime but
very seldom. (There was Mechanical error so I should shange that).

With that drive I got little bit more far with a installation. Until it
started looking for partition. The program did not regonize the PQ
Partition Magic partition at all. Only old DOS FAT partition.

Is there any posibility to start x-windows and all other those programs
installation from CDROM without floppy if debian is running in root, or
from Backpack CDROM

So, is there any help available or is it better to forget LINUX and my Laptop?

MOTTO: If you dont know you self, ask some else who knows!

sincerely yours,

Juhani Ilves