From: Jesse Jacobsen [mailto:jjacobsen@jvlnet.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 1999 10:15 AM
To: maxalbert@juno.com
Subject: Re: Thanks

On 07/05/99 at 18:53:51, maxalbert@juno.com wrote concerning "Thanks":
>      After running setserial and wvdial, disabling PnP, and many other
> efforts, I finally, to overcome the system's refusal to detect my modem
> (Diamond Supra 288i SP), attempted to re-install (grasping at straws),
> but now it tells me "there was a problem" extracting the base system
> files from the CD-rom, so re-installation has failed and I have nothing
> for weeks of effort.-- Max

The good news is that the Linux Hardware Compatibility HOWTO doesn't
list a modem by that description as being incompatible with Linux.  Now
you just have to take a deep breath and write a detailed report to this
list of what you've tried.  Here are some things to look at or include:

- Does the modem work in Windows?  If so, does Windows give you
  information about modem settings (IRQ, etc?)
- What makes you think your modem is not recognized?
- What happens when you try to run minicom, configured to use your
  modem's serial device?
- Have you taken into account that the DOS ports COM1, COM2, COM3, and
  COM4 correspond to the Linux devices ttyS0, ttyS1, ttyS2, and ttyS3
  respectively?

For the next time you get frustrated, consider this:  it's a pretty good
guess that most of the people on this list haven't been forced to
reinstall Debian ever.   On top of that, most probably haven't done a
fresh install for so long that it actually takes an effort to remember
what it was like!  In contrast, I recall reinstalling Windows several
times each year.  Or at least making _major_ repairs.

I don't know if it's possible to _master_ the intricacies of Debian.
It's just too big!  But to me, that's something to like about it.  You
never run out of things you can learn.

HTH,

Jesse

--