Re: E-mail for dummies - part 2

On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Hans van den Boogert wrote:
> qmail and fetchmail are MTAs (Mail Transfer Agents), right?
>
> fetchmail downloads messages from a pop3/imap server and puts them into the
> local mail delivery system. (Besides, where do the messages end up and in
> what form?)

Correct so far.

> Then exim (Mail Delivery Agents) delivers the mail to local users (I
> presume in /home/username) after which the MUA (Mail User Agents, like
> XFMail or some other marvel).
>
> So what about sending mail then? Using 'smail' sounds obvious, but how does
> the route from MUA to the SMTP server go.

qmail, smail, sendmail and exim are *all* MTAs.  So is fetchmail, but a
special one (it just does POP, APOP, etc. stuff).

procmail and deliver are MDAs.  Note that the only one of the general MTAs
above that needs a MDA is sendmail.  The others do local delivery on their
own.  Confused yet?

To send mail from a dialup connection, you need to get your MTA to tell a
few white lies.  Have a look at the ISP HOWTO which explains how to do
this with Sendmail.  I've never used Exim, so I can't give any advice
there.

With sendmail, you can also rewrite outgoing addresses, so instead of
sending as "you@yourlinuxbox", mail would appear to come from
"userid@realisp.com".  Look at the sendmail address rewrite mini-HOWTO.
Again, Exim might do this too, but I don't know.

> I've installed fetchmail and exim, but haven't had time to read the man
> pages. Does anybody have a good way to convert man pages into readable
> ASCII text, so I can print them out and read them off-line? (The purchasing
> of a notebook is still in the pipeline, so printing will have to do for now
> :-)

You could try the dwww package that makes man pages into web pages--you
could print those.

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not
necessarily a good idea."  --RFC-1925