Re: [Debian] can't upgrade from slink to potato

On Mon, Jul 05, 1999 at 10:17:46AM +0200, Nico De Ranter wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I'm trying to upgrade my slink system to potato (I need a newer
> ppp version).  I first used dselect to have a look at the new
> package in potato but when I run "apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade"
> apt tells me there are no packages to upgrade.  Apparently apt thinks
> my system is already up-to-date.  Any idea how I can convince apt
> to do the upgrade anyway?

What does your /etc/apt/sources/list file look like? You need to
edit the line that reads:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free

to read:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
                                     ^^
then you can run apt-get update and apt-get upgrade. If you don't
want to go all the way with potato, I belive you can just do am
apt-get install ppp-whatever and it'll upgrade the necessary
packages for you. Check out the man page and /usr/doc/apt for more
info.

hth
--
                                         __   _