Re: [Debian] can't upgrade from slink to potato

On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Mark Wagnon wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 05, 1999 at 10:17:46AM +0200, Nico De Ranter wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to upgrade my slink system to potato (I need a newer
> > ppp version).  I first used dselect to have a look at the new
> > package in potato but when I run "apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade"
> > apt tells me there are no packages to upgrade.  Apparently apt thinks
> > my system is already up-to-date.  Any idea how I can convince apt
> > to do the upgrade anyway?

<WARNING TYPE="important">
Are you sure you want to go to potato? Things are rather unstable at the
moment, more so than usual. If you can't deal with random breakage, you
may want to stay with slink.
</WARNING>

> then you can run apt-get update and apt-get upgrade. If you don't
> want to go all the way with potato, I belive you can just do am
> apt-get install ppp-whatever and it'll upgrade the necessary
> packages for you. Check out the man page and /usr/doc/apt for more
> info.

You may not have much luck installing potato debs on a slink system, since
potato uses glibc 2.1 while slink has 2.0, and nearly everything depends
on glibc (aka libc6). You could always download the sources from potato
and try compiling them on your slink system...