E-mail for dummies.

Sofar I'm quite happy with Linux, Debian and the documentation. If you read
all you can find on the subject, use your senses and experiment a bit you
can always get done what you want.

However, for me the one thing that still remains a mystery is the setting
up of a mail system. I'm used to telnetting and Pine to read my mail, but
now with a stand alone machine, a ppp connection to my ISP I just can't
understand how the whole setup works. I've read the NAG and MailHOWTO, but
both were written in such a way that I can't find no head nor tail.

Could someone please post a quick mail-system setup for dummies? As said, I
simply want to connect to my ISP, collect/download my mail and read it in a
browser-like X program like Mahogany. What is the principle setup? (Please,
explain a bit!!!) What programs do I best use for what? What do these
programs do? How do they interconnect? What is the sequence of collecting
and sending mail?

Is there any other on-line documentation besides the NAG and MailHOWTO? I
have lots of time to read, much less to work on my system :-(  Thanks for
the help. -- Hans