RE: E-mail for dummies.

I was a Linux email newbie a few months back. What has brought me a good
solution is a combo consisting of exim/fetchmail/XFmail. If I were you I would
start out with XFmail on it's own. This email client is very simple to set up.
It does what you expect a normal GUI based email client to do with ease. You
will be able to receive mail in minutes! The only problem is that it
doesn't do delivery and POP3 fetch in the background, so if you do a lot of
mailing, and have a lot coming in, you will have to wait for the client to
finish delivery/fetch before being able to continue your work.

When you know how XFmail works you can add on fetchmail and exim which will
fetch and deliver mail from your ISP in the background. XFmail can easily be
configured to deal with mail managed by these two programs, which means you can
"grow" into a more and more sofisticated solution without having to switch
email client, convert mailboxes or other complicated adjustments.

All these programs are packed and easily installed and configured for Debian.

fetchmail has a GUI front-end for setting it up.
exim has a script called "eximconfig" that will have it working for you quite
easily (sendmail is much harder to deal with!), and XFmail has built in help and
is VERY intuitive to use.

I do tons of email daily as part of my work, and this combo is fast, safe and
secure and very versatile without having to learn tons of key bindings and
config file syntax.

Good luck! :)