Re: E-mail for dummies.

On Sun, Jul 04, 1999 at 09:43:06PM +0800, Hans van den Boogert wrote:
> Could someone please post a quick mail-system setup for dummies? As said, I
> simply want to connect to my ISP, collect/download my mail and read it in a
> browser-like X program like Mahogany. What is the principle setup? (Please,
> explain a bit!!!) What programs do I best use for what? What do these
> programs do? How do they interconnect? What is the sequence of collecting
> and sending mail?

If you dont have a permanent connection to the internet the best way I know of
is to use fetchmail. fetchmail will fetch (hehe...) the messages on your ISP
(or your mail account wherever it is) and delivers them locally. Then you can
either have your mail server (exim, if you used the defaults) handle them, or
use a MDA like procmail to deliver them. For example, using procmail, I have:
	poll mail.telebot.net proto pop3
        user pop_user pass pop_pass is local_user mda "procmail -d local_user"
in ~/.fetchmailrc and then I just need to run fetchmail to get my mail.

Once it has been delivered locally you can use any mail client to read it
(mutt, pine, I guess Mahogany would work too although I never heard of it :).

> Is there any other on-line documentation besides the NAG and MailHOWTO? I
> have lots of time to read, much less to work on my system :-(  Thanks for
> the help. -- Hans

Well if you use fetchmail you probably want to read its manpage. If you use
procmail you should read the doc under /usr/doc/procmail and if you use exim
you probably want to install the exim-doc package and read the info files it
has installed.

Good luck,
Lex