Re: Networking help

On Sat, Jul 03, 1999 at 04:52:14PM -0500, Robert Rati wrote
> On Sat, 3 Jul 1999, John Pearson wrote:
> >[snip]
> > Your NIC driver is sending stuff to your NIC and expects to receive an
> > interrupt down the track (probably to say that it has finished), but the
> > interrupt never arrives.
> >
> > In approximately descending order of plausability, you either:
> >   - Have configured the NIC driver to use the wrong IRQ; or
> >   - Have a broken NIC; or
> >   - Have configured the NIC driver to use the wrong I/O address; or
> >   - Are using the wrong module for your NIC.
> >
> > If it's a PCI card, then settings probably *aren't* the problem.
>
> I know the nic works because I can still use it in winblows.  The card is
> detected when I give it an irq, or atleast it is said to be detected
> correctly.  The werid thing is, it stopped being detected when I just gave
> it the io port.  It used to just need the io port, and it would find the
> irq itself and work just fine.  Now I have to give it the irq also, and it
> says it finds it but it doesn't work.  My nic is an ISA Linksys and I just
> use the ne drive for it.  I've had it working before and it still works in
> winblows, so I don't think it's the settings or the card.  It's got an
> EEPROM on it, and the eeprom is set to use IRQ 10 and io 0x240.

A quick look at the kernel source shows some LinkSys cards use the Tulip
driver (likely not yours, as I thought these were all PCI cards) and some
use the Lance driver; have you tried using the Lance driver?  Also, is it a
combo card (twisted pair/coax)?  If it is you may need to set the media type
using the (with any luck) supplied utility rather than trusting in the media
autodetection logic.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au