Re: Networking help

On Fri, Jul 02, 1999 at 08:41:47PM -0500, Robert Rati wrote
> The message in /var/log/syslog said this:
> Jul  2 20:27:08 Obereon kernel: eth0: Tx timed out, lost interrupt?
> TSR=0x1, ISR=0x2, t=3500.
> Jul  2 20:27:18 Obereon kernel: eth0: Tx timed out, lost interrupt?
> TSR=0x1, ISR=0x2, t=1000.
> Jul  2 20:27:28 Obereon kernel: eth0: Tx timed out, lost interrupt?
> TSR=0x1, ISR=0x3, t=1000.
> Jul 2 20:27:48 Obereon last message repeated 2 times
> Jul  2 20:27:55Obereon
> ypbind[157]: broadcast: RPC: Timed out.
>
> This message can't mean what it seems.  A lost interrupt?  That's not
> possible is it?  I have never encountered this thing before.  Can anyone
> give some insite?

Your NIC driver is sending stuff to your NIC and expects to receive an
interrupt down the track (probably to say that it has finished), but the
interrupt never arrives.

In approximately descending order of plausability, you either:
  - Have configured the NIC driver to use the wrong IRQ; or
  - Have a broken NIC; or
  - Have configured the NIC driver to use the wrong I/O address; or
  - Are using the wrong module for your NIC.

If it's a PCI card, then settings probably *aren't* the problem.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au
john@huiac.apana.org.au