Re: Brave New Perl

On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Christian Dysthe wrote:

> I tried to do a dselect update on my potato box today. New Perl debs caused a
> lot of trouble.

Yeah, the dependancies aren't all worked out yet... That's why potato is
called 'unstable'.

> After dselect saw the new Perl's it wanted to remove A LOT of
> (important) packages so I had to say no to the upgrade. Then I tried
> to freeze the Perl upgrade to be able to do the other avaialble
> upgrades, but no go. whatever I do dselect wants to do major changes
> to my system. Some Perl packages described as "fake" confuse me, and I
> have given up using dselect at all right now since whatever I try to
> do means all these packages will be removed and I am not able to
> freeze the old Perl with ='s in a way that leaves my installation
> intact.

What you have to do is look at the dependancies and find out which package
wants Perl 5.005. Then, put that package on hold until things become sane
again ;)

The best way to do this is to push 'R' right away on the conflict screen
to restore the old status, then go down to the "perl-5.005" line and look
for the line "foo depends on perl-5.005". Put package "foo" on hold (you
may have to do this two or three times, if there's more that one package
that needs 5.005 *sigh*)

At the moment, i have 4 on hold: libgtk-perl, perl-tk, perlmagick, and
pdl. There may be others that i don't have installed.

> Should I wait until other packages "catch up" with the new Perl
> installation?

Good idea, some of the ones that would be removed are rather useful...

> If I have a lot of packages marked for removal right now. I guess I
> will have to go through it all and mark them installed again also?

If you go to the line "--- Up to date installed packages ---" and tell
dselect to install that, it will mark all of them at once, so you don't
have to go through manually and do it.