Re: Problems with new hardware

On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Andy Spiegl wrote:

> > > I am looking for pointers as to log files that might indicate the problem.
> > > It is possible that I have not set everything up exactly right for the
> > > motherboard and CPU  chip.  I am using an IWILL XA100P motherboard with an
> > > AMD K6-3 400 CPU, with 256MB RAM.
> I've got a similar machine.  (Epox MB instead of IWILL)
> And I can't keep my box alove longer than 2-3 days.

 My ASUS P5A (400MHz AMD K6-II, two 64MB DIMMs) gave me some initial
difficulties. It ran fine at 95MHz FSB, but had problems at 100MHz.
(Windows crashing, random programs dying with sig 11 under Linux.)

 I swapped out all the hardware from the place I bought it; I put in an
extra case fan. Nothing worked. Finally, in desperation, I swapped my
128MB DIMM for two 64MB DIMMS from my parents' computer.

 It's now running fine in their motherboard, and their memory is working
fine in mine. Go figure...

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles        (248) 377-7735         ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 "Technically, Windows is an operating system, which means that it
  supplies your computer with the basic commands it needs to suddenly,
  with no warning whatsoever, stop operating." - Dave Barry