Need help installing Pine

After two years of using Red Hat, I've turned my attention to Debian
(Slink), and am learning my way around the packaging system, apt, and
dpkg.

I'm now trying to install Pine. (This message, BTW, is coming from my
shell account at my ISP, hence it being from Pine.) I've tried to install
both of the following sets of source packages, using the same steps
(listed below), receiving the same error message (also provided below):

sources:

pine_4.10-0.dsc
pine_4.10-0.diff.gz
pine_4.10.orig.tar.gz

pine_3.96M-2.dsc
pine_3.96M-2.diff.gz
pine_3.96M.orig.tar.gz

steps taken:

dpkg-source -x pine_v.dsc
cd pine
debian/rules binary (as root)

error message received:

test -f pine/pine.c -a -f debian/rules
debian/rules binaryPine
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/pine/pine-v'
test -f pine/pine.c -a -f debian/rules
test root = "`whoami`"
rm -rf debian/tmp
install -d debian/tmp/DEBIAN debian/tmp/usr/lib/menu
cd debian/tmp && install -d usr/bin usr/man/man1 usr/doc/pine
cd debian && install -m 755 postinst postrm tmp/DEBIAN
cd debian && install -m 644 menu.pine tmp/usr/lib/menu/pine
install bin/pine debian/tmp/usr/bin
install: bin/pine: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [binaryPine] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/pine/pine-3.96M'
make: *** [binary-arch] Error 2

I searched the archives for this list but couldn't find anything; I
thought I saw something posted about this earlier this month.

Thanks in advance for any help. Debian's great thus far.

--

Larry