Re: X -- switching colour depths on the fly

On Wed, Jun 30, 1999 at 01:32:44AM -0700, G. Crimp wrote:
> 	I know about changing resolutions in X by using the Ctrl and Alt
> keys along with the keypad + or -.  I am wondering now if anyone knows if it
> is possible to switch colour depths without restarting X and demanding a
> specific depth.

It is not possible to change the color depth the X server is using without
restarting it, no.  See /usr/doc/xfree86-common/FAQ.

XFree86 4.0 (which isn't expected out for months) is supposed to support
overlays, however (for instance, 8bpp PseudoColor windows when the server
is 24 or 32 bpp TrueColor).  To some extent, I am told, this will depend on
the supported features of the graphics card.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   Mob rule isn't any prettier just because