Re: X -- switching colour depths on the fly

On 30-Jun-1999, G. Crimp <ye416@freenet.victoria.bc.ca> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> 	I know about changing resolutions in X by using the Ctrl and Alt
> keys along with the keypad + or -.  I am wondering now if anyone knows if it
> is possible to switch colour depths without restarting X and demanding a
> specific depth.

The only way I know how to do this is to start a new version of X
by using the command below from a virtual console

# startx -- :1 -bpp 16

The above command will start a version of X on vt8 on screen :1.0

You can then use <CTRL>-<ALT>-<F7> and <CTRL>-<ALT>-<F8> to switch
between the X sessions.

Pete.