Re: "Quick" boot from floppy?

Rick Macdonald wrote:

> I've always used lilo, but I installed slink on a friends PC and for now
> he's using a boot floppy (to not interfere with his NT).
>
> It boots the whole kernel from the floppy.
>
> I thought there was a way to set up a boot floppy that somehow knows to
> switch to the harddrive partition and boot the kernel found there. Like,
> installing lilo on a floppy instead of the kernel itself.
>
> Am I dreaming, or how is this done? I couldn't find this in the various
> docs that I checked.

You will probably get answers to the affirmative by using several boot
loaders as that is possible. I use the boot loader from Norton Commander
to set up multiple booting for Win98, Win NT, Linux Slink, Linux Potato,
Solaris 2.6 all on the same box. Just toys but it does allow the
recovery of the master boot record if NT screws it up and has saved my
butt several times.
--
John Foster
AdVance-Computing Systems