Re: .bash_profile never read in X

%% carlf@panix.com (Carl Fink) writes:

  cf> On further investigation, .bashrc *is* executing.  And I get this
  cf> output:

  cf> </home/carlf>$ echo $PATH
  cf> (/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/home/carlf/bin)

  cf> . . . so why won't the xterm execute files in /home/carlf/bin unless
  cf> I prepend an explicit path to them?

If that's really the exact output you get, the answer is obvious; you
don't have ``/home/carlf/bin'' on your PATH.

You do, however, have ``/home/carlf/bin)'' on your path, a directory which,
I assume, doesn't exist.

Hint: this is Bourne shell, not C shell; you never put parentheses around
variable values.

:)

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com>         Network Management Development