Re: xroastcd fails to verify

In article <[🔎] 87u2rszzab.fsf@main.wgaf.net> you write:
>Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au> writes:
>
>> >OTOH, I have the same CDR with 4.17, and it doesn't work under
>> >Linux. I'm quite desperate at this point -- have been trying for 3
>> >months, and no luck -- cdrecord (and cdrdao) both crap out at the very
>> >beginning of the burning process, saying threre's some SCSI retryable
>> >error. Have to boot into Win every time I want to burn a CD. :(
>>
>> I use to have the same problem...
>
>Well, maybe there is hope for me after all. ;^)

I am afraid it is not very good news...

>Can you please let me know if you drive will work with 4.17? Also,
>which kernel are you running on?

Yes, 4.17 works fine. However, it still has the original problem...

Reducing write speed down to 1x seems to help.

This is with linux 2.2.10, and
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
||/ Name            Version        Description
+++-===============-==============-============================================
ii  xcdroast        0.96e-3        X based CD-writer software
ii  cdrecord        1.6final-0.2   CD writing tool

However, reading audio tracks in xcdroast no longer seems to work, I get the
error "Unsupported CD-ROM" and "Unsupported device, try to force
a specific read mode in setup".

>Yes, as I said... I guess I should hope for magic. :^| I try new
>kernes just as soon as they come out, and I do the same with the
>cdrdao and cdrecord -- all in hope that my CDR will all of a sudden
>start working. I have 2.2.10 now. I even tried patching the scsi
>includes with the code from Joerg Shilling's (SP?) site, the author of
>cdrecord. And it didn't help.

What SCSI card do you have? This is mine:

(scsi0) <Adaptec AIC-7850 SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 9/0
(scsi0) Narrow Channel, SCSI ID=7, 3/255 SCBs
(scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 412 instructions downloaded
scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.10/3.2.4
       <Adaptec AIC-7850 SCSI host adapter>
scsi : 1 host.
  Vendor: MATSHITA  Model: CD-R   CW-7502    Rev: 4.17
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02

(I think I have seen from the Linux mailing lists that this
isn't very well supported, at least for Linux 2.1.x, I am not sure
what it status is like for 2.2.x).

--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>