Re: [Re: X-server for Matrox Millennium G200 AGP]

Rathon,

Before I answer your question, a warning:

There have been quite a few threads on this list lately about getting
the G200 to work under Debian. The most 'Debian-like' solution (if there
is such a thing :) is to point apt to some ftp site that has the slink
debs for the latest X packages and run apt-get (http://ftp.netgod.net
has been mentioned several times).

I didn't do this because:
1. I have dial-up access to the net and I didn't feel like downloading
all of the .deb's over my slow link.
2. I had the required files already (although they were originally for
RH5.2, and came from rpm's).
3. I knew what I was doing and was confident that I wouldn't screw any
of the debian package management system stuff up. Having said that, what
I did may affect my upgrading of the system later (like if dpkg checks
the date/version of my file and finds that it is different... I am just
speculating here as I don't really know what dpkg does or how it works).
But I was only replacing one file so I figured that I could reverse it
later if need be.

Now for the question:
The file you are replacing is called XF86_SVGA. The file you are
replacing it with is also called XF86_SVGA. Dont get them mixed up, or
you will have to reproduce your x.log file to find out which version you
have in place.
I'm not at my Debian system at the moment, so I cant tell you which
directory it is in, but you can find it for yourself with:
[titan:/]# find / -name XF86_SVGA
It will probably be in /usr/X11R6/bin or something.
Backup this file, as in:
[titan:/usr/X11R6/bin]# mv XF86_SVGA
XF86_SVGA.3.3.2.original-slink-version
Then copy the new one you have to the same directory, using the name
XF86_SVGA. If everything goes according to plan (taking into account
Murphy's law), you should now have a working system.

If at a later stage you want to reverse this, you can just delete (or
move) the new XF86_SVGA file and rename the original slink one to
XF86_SVGA.

Matthew