Re: /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm?

pausmith@nortelnetworks.com (Paul D. Smith) writes:

> I tried to install vmware over the weekend and it wanted to compile a
> kernel module for my 2.2.10 kernel.  It complained because my linux
> kernel header version was still 2.2.9.  I looked and sure enough,
> /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm were both real directories with
> real files.
>
> Aren't these typically supposed to be symlinks to /usr/src/linux/...?

With Debian it's different. There is an oppinion that the symlinks may
not work in some cases, ans so Debian installs the headers in real
directories. If you use Debian's way of building and installing a new
kernel, then probably it would do this for you.

I come from Slackware and I am used to upgrading the kernel
old-fashioned way. I installed the symlinks ever since I installed
Debian, and have had no problems with this all through kernels 2.0.36
- 2.2.10.

> Also, how did the headers there get up to 2.2.9?  I haven't done
> anything fancy to copy headers into those directories, and I've been
> downloading kernel patches from www.linuxhq.com etc, not the Debian
> packages.  Does the normal kernel build usually install these?  I wonder
> why it didn't for 2.2.10?

This seems strange. How did you upgrade your kernel to 2.2.9?

--
Arcady Genkin
"... without money one gets nothing in this world, not even a certificate