Re: Large .deb packages..

John Foster wrote:

> > Maybe having another section of debian would be better: eg
> > main,contrib,non-free,non-US,marginal. [I'm sure someone could come up with a better
> > name than marginal :-)]
> > Marginal would contain really large packages, or packages that very few people might
> > want to use. If their popularity took off then they would be moved to main.
> >
> > That way the debian CDs contain main, (and anything distributable from contrib and
> > non-free).
> > marginal would have to be got over the internet like non-US.
> > This would perhaps be more in line with the current debian system, I don't know.
> I would like to see a category added to the Debian web site for things
> like this that would be available for fringe usage or special projects
> developers to place unique/specilaized debianized binaries and source
> files for centralized availability. There are LOTs of .deb binaries out
> there for applications in specialized fields (math, radio astronomy,
> physics, biology, graphic's development, etc.) These are mostly useful
> to students and folks doing some type of research, however they would be
> made available to the general public via this central location. I do not
> think they should be put on any CD image for distribution except as an
> additional CD for special projects. I do feel that there should be both
> stable and unstable areas for this category, and that these files should
> meet all standard debian distro criteria before being posted. This area
> could also include ports to Debian from other systems such as Slackware,
> Red Hat etc. that are not widely available.

Yep, I agree with you totally actually - as far as I see it, one of the major advantages
of the .deb format is that all of the .deb's are made by specific debian maintainers who
(hopefully) are well acquainted with debian, and know what they are doing. Another well
known package format has (from what I understand, I could be completely wrong, and Im not
trying to start a long post about merits of packaging systems etc) far less rigorous
standards, and there are packages all over the place made by all and sundry. Good nad bad
I suppose. (maybe thats the advantage for debian being no 2 distro...)
With your ideas, this is maintained, so not only is debian more stable (???) its packages
are better as well (???).
frankie