Re: Large .deb packages..

Richard Dansereau wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I seem to remember a while back there was a discussion about whether
> or not to include some rather large packages (i.e. ones containing
> data, such as astronomical data) in the Debian releases.  I think
> the main consensus was not to include these types of large packages.
>
> I was wondering if the Packages file includes or could include a
> field that would indicate an alternate ftp/http site that these type
> of packages could be placed into.  Then, if someone wishes to maintain
> a large Debian package that we don't want to put on the general
> CD distribution that they can still be easily installed and maintained
> through the standard Debian package installation program.
>
> Of course, this raises some other issues as far as security, etc.
> What do people think about this?

Maybe having another section of debian would be better: eg
main,contrib,non-free,non-US,marginal. [I'm sure someone could come up with a better
name than marginal :-)]
Marginal would contain really large packages, or packages that very few people might
want to use. If their popularity took off then they would be moved to main.

That way the debian CDs contain main, (and anything distributable from contrib and
non-free).
marginal would have to be got over the internet like non-US.
This would perhaps be more in line with the current debian system, I don't know.

Frankie