Large .deb packages..

Hello all!

I seem to remember a while back there was a discussion about whether
or not to include some rather large packages (i.e. ones containing
data, such as astronomical data) in the Debian releases.  I think
the main consensus was not to include these types of large packages.

I was wondering if the Packages file includes or could include a
field that would indicate an alternate ftp/http site that these type
of packages could be placed into.  Then, if someone wishes to maintain
a large Debian package that we don't want to put on the general
CD distribution that they can still be easily installed and maintained
through the standard Debian package installation program.

Of course, this raises some other issues as far as security, etc.
What do people think about this?

Richard..

Richard Dansereau                    ICQ:  1604133
Email: rdanse@pobox.com              Home page:  http://pobox.com/~rdanse
Electrical and Computer Engineering - The University of Manitoba - Canada