[Debian] linux on a Compaq proliant 2500

Howdy,

I believe this question has been asked before but I couldn't find it
in the archives.

I'm trying to install debian on a Compaq 2500 with multiple scsi disks.
The first disk contains a small Compaq-specific partition and an
NT server partition.  The second disk contains Debian. I installed lilo
in all kind of combinations but when I reboot I only get the LI
from LILO.  I know this means

  "The first stage boot loader was able to load the second stage boot
    loader, but has failed to execute it. This can either be caused by a
    geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b without running the map
    installer."

But I have no idea how to solve this.

Any ideas?

My lilo.conf now looks like:

boot=/dev/sda     (tried sda2, sdb also, ran liloconfig each time)
delay = 40
compact
root=/dev/sdb1
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36
        label=working
        read-only
other=/dev/sda2
    label=dos
    table=/dev/sda

and my partitions look like:

trapist:/usr/doc/lilo# fdisk /dev/sda

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 522 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot   Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1            1        5    40131   12  Unknown
/dev/sda2   *        6      522  4152802+   7  OS/2 HPFS

Command (m for help): q
trapist:/usr/doc/lilo# fdisk /dev/sdb

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sdb: 57 heads, 62 sectors, 1021 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 3534 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot   Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1   *        1     1021  1804076   83  Linux native

How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink?
Nico De Ranter
Sony Service Center (SUPC-E/NSSE)
Sint Stevens Woluwestraat 55 (Rue de Woluwe-Saint-Etienne)
1130 Brussel (Bruxelles), Belgium, Europe, Earth
Telephone: +32 2 724 86 41 Telefax: +32 2 726 26 86
e-mail: nico.deranter@sonycom.com