Re: Alt+ArrowUp (inittab kbrequest)

I could be totally wrong, but I think...

On Mon, Jun 21, 1999 at 12:11:52AM +0200, J Horacio MG wrote:
> I have already pressed by mistake the Alt+ArrowUp key combo, resulting
> in a system shutdown (losing all work done!).
>
> In my /etc/inittab I've got the Ctrl+Alt+End key combo configured for
> shutdowns:
>
> kb:12345:kbrequest:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -h now

This line tells init to shutdown whenever it receives a KeyboardSignal
from the keyboard handler, in runlevels 1-5.

> and some kbrequest for the Alt+ArrowUp which reads:
>
> kb::kbrequest:/bin/echo "Keyboard Request--edit /etc/inittab to let this
> work."

This line doesn't give any runlevels, so it won't have any effect.

> which says nothing about shutdown, so, why does Alt+ArrowUp perform a
> system shutdown?  Can I safely comment the line?

Alt+ArrowUp and Ctrl+Alt+End both send KeyboardSignal to init, so hopefully
you've got the line
              alt keycode 103 = KeyboardSignal
in /etc/kbd/default.map.gz
If you remove that it should fix it.

--
Matt Folwell, Trinity College, Cambridge.  CB2 1TQ
mjf36@cam.ac.uk