Re: Alt+ArrowUp (inittab kbrequest)

Quoting J Horacio MG (homega@vlc.servicom.es):
> I have already pressed by mistake the Alt+ArrowUp key combo, resulting
> in a system shutdown (losing all work done!).
>
> In my /etc/inittab I've got the Ctrl+Alt+End key combo configured for
> shutdowns:
>
> kb:12345:kbrequest:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -h now
>
> and some kbrequest for the Alt+ArrowUp which reads:
>
> kb::kbrequest:/bin/echo "Keyboard Request--edit /etc/inittab to let this
> work."
>
> which says nothing about shutdown, so, why does Alt+ArrowUp perform a
> system shutdown?  Can I safely comment the line?

I think you need to archive your postings and their replies a
bit more efficiently. I was about to cut and paste a previous
reply on the subject when I noticed that the question was posed
by you!

--8<--------

On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Horacio M.G. wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> how can I make a key combo work?
> In etc/inittab I get the following line:
>
> # What to do when CTRL-ALT-DEL is pressed.
> ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -r now
>
> which is ok for shutting the system down and rebooting.  But, how
> about shutting down and halting?  I tried adding the line:
>
> # What to do when CTRL-ALT-END is pressed.
> ca:12345:ctrlaltend:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -h now
>
> which was just a guess, and obviously didn't work.  I suppose I
> should first of all configure [CtrlAltEnd] as a key combo, but how
> and where?

In /etc/kbd/default.map.gz:

keycode 107 = Select
        altgr   control keycode 107 = KeyboardSignal
        control alt     keycode 107 = KeyboardSignal

and in /etc/inittab:

kb:12345:kbrequest:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -h now

I use Ctrl-Alt-Ins for halt, if you want that, it is this:

keycode 110 = Insert
        altgr   control keycode 110 = KeyboardSignal
        control alt     keycode 110 = KeyboardSignal

That, in theory, and in practice here, works.

Good luck,
Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

Cheers,