Re: HD activity

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Thorsten Manegold wrote:

> 1) What causes the HD activity every 3 seconds? That
> way powersaving will never take effect.

cron, update, syslog, maybe others.  update is the main problem.

> 2) How can I change the setup, so that the HD will not be needlessly
> acsessed?

change the timing of cron jobs in /etc/cron.d;

change the 'update' line in /etc/init.d/checkroot.sh to 'update -s 3600 -f
3600'

add '-' before every filename in /etc/syslog.conf

be aware that these changes are not crash-friendly.  if your machine
doesn't shut down or suspend properly, you will most likely lose more data
than you would have without the changes.  if you're about to do something
risky, do 'sync' first with this setup.

this (and possibly other) stuff is in
/usr/doc/HOWTO/mini/Battery-Powered.gz

-thomas

EF D8 33 68 B3 E3 E9 D2  C1 3E 51 22 8A AA 7B 98 umbra (!)