dhcp problem

Hi,

  I just can not use DHCP on my Linux box.
My kernel is 2.2.9

I get the following error:
dhcpcd[1158]: ioctl SIOCSIFBRDADDR (ifConfig): Cannot assign requested
address

since it was giving me this, I tried option -r, does not work either...

As an example, strace dhcpcd -r -d gives me this:
socket(PF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, IPPROTO_IP) = 3
ioctl(3, SIOCGIFHWADDR, 0xbffffcdc)     = 0
ioctl(3, SIOCSIFADDR, 0xbffffcdc)       = 0
ioctl(3, SIOCSIFBRDADDR, 0xbffffcdc)    = -1 EADDRNOTAVAIL (Cannot
assign
requested address)
write(2, "ioctl SIOCSIFBRDADDR (ifConfig):"..., 65ioctl SIOCSIFBRDADDR
(ifConfig): Cannot assign requested address
) = 65

BTW, my network card works fine, I can do networking with a computer on
the
same hub if I set the IP address by hand using ifconfig ... Bu it put
the
mess on the rest of the network sometimes since it can bring ip
conflicts,
and other computers can not access mine.

I tried the dhcp package from slink, and then from potato
The last package I tested is dhcpcd 1.3.17pl2-1 (potato)

I tried both packages (slink,potato), with or without option -r on
kernel
2.0.36 and 2.2.9.

I read the DHCPD mini-HOWTO and had a look to /usr/doc/dhcpcd, ...
nothing helped ....

I did a 'man ioctl_list' to see if I could get a clue (what is
SIOCSIFBRDADDR about ?), and I did not.

So, I am kind of desperate... Can some one help me please ? I really
need
to use the network, and for the moment, I have to switch back to windoze
to do so.

Please, CC me in the answer, since I am not on this list.

Cheers,

                        vdb