upgrade vorm 1.3 to 2.1 ?

Hi all,

I have a Debian 1.3 (bo) installed and now have a CD with the latest Debian 2.1
(slink) which I want to install.  The documentation delivered is fine at all -
it tells me about new install and a upgrading procedure from Debian 2.0 to 2.1 -
but nothing about upgrading from an older version. The question is, would that
be possible, or do I need (or is it better) to make a new installation? I've
read about 1.3 beeing based on "libc5" and 2.1 beeing based on "libc6" - what
does it mean for upgrading?.
Could anybody give some suggestions?

Thank's
Wolfgang