Re: Frontpage extensions?

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 16:30:04 +1000
Corey Ralph <corey@net-tech.com.au> wrote:

> I am looking into the possibility of transfering an NT/IIS based webserver
> over to apache on debian 2.1, the only thing I need to confirm is that the
> frontpage extenstions will be available and equal to the NT versions.

I think there are a couple of options. You either get the extentions
>from Microsoft's FTP site and install them. I've never done this on
Apache, but I had an interesting time getting them working on a Netscape
server i had running on Solaris. It eventually worked, however, just
took a bit of fiddling. I believe you can also get a mod_frontpage
apache module, and recently on freshmeat (http://freshmeat.net) there
has been something called FPSE, which is a CGI clone of the frontpage
extentions.

>   subject: FPSE Clone 0.01
>  added by: Mrs. Brisby on Jun 15th 1999, 08:49
>   license: Freeware
>  category: Web/Applications
>
>  homepage: http://www.nimh.org/fpse.shtml
>  download: http://www.nimh.org/hacks/fpse.tgz

> FPSE clone is a Microsoft Frontpage Server Extensions clone. FPSE is
> should work with nearly any web server, because it is a regular CGI
> written in perl. It is also more secure than its Microsoft counterpart,
> because it does not require SUID priviledges.

> Is it available as a deb package?  Is it in the distribution and I'm just not
> looking in the right place?

Do not believe so. I couldn't see it.

> I have read about exploits in them, supposedly worse in the unix versions than
> in NT.  Is there anything to worry about there?

I haven't heard anything lately, but you do have to be a bit careful
with the permissions of some of frontpages _vti* directories, as they
contain crypted passwords. You also have to run it SUID of whatever your
content is owned by for it to work properly.

> With apache, will it be a drop-in replacement for an NT server?  Does it
> provide
> all the 'webbots' and scripts e.g the hit counter etc?

The extentions provide all of the webbot things, but they don't always
work perfectly (for eg., the hit counter never worked for me on the
netscape server).

--
Damon Muller              | Did a large procession wave their torches
(damon@empire.net.au)     | As my head fell in the basket,