Re: smbfs, smbfsx, smbclient

On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, Kent West wrote:

> Now I can't even find smbclient, and I can't find what package contains
> it.

Looks like it's in the smbclient package... You may have to look in
unstable, i don't remember if slink has the proper versions or not.

> My basic questions are these:
>  1) Do I need both the smbfs and the smbfsx packages? Or just one or the
> other? DOes it hurt to have both installed?

Just smbfsx. i don't know if it will cause problems or not having both
installed.

>  2) Where can I find the smbclient so that I can do some additional
> testing? The "locate" command doesn't find it.

The smbclient package installs it into /usr/bin/smbclient

>  3) What is the currently correct syntax to connect to a WinNT share?
> The share is named "//big_guy/common" and the username is "westk" and
> the mount point I want to use is "/NetShare".

That's the important question... i obviously can't test this, but this
command _should_ work.

smbmount-2.2.x '\\big_guy\common' -Uwestk -I 150.252.x.x -c 'mount /NetShare -u uid -g gid'

The -U option tells it to use your username. The -I option tells it which
IP address to find big_guy on, which is probably necessary given #4 below.
The -u and -g switches are similar to the uid and gid options when
mounting fat partitions. -f and -d can also be used to set the modes on
files and on directories if you don't like the defaults. "man smbmnt" for
more info.

Basically, smbmount-2.2.x takes the same arguments as smbclient, so once
you get one working the other should as well.

>  4) Will the smbmount (or smbmount-2.2.x) command work over a dial-up
> connection? The dial-up connection is provided by my university, and
> that's where the server is located. My local IP (provided by the dial-up
> connection) has the same first two octets (150.252.x.x) as the rest of
> campus, but the third octet (and probably forth, but not necessarily) is
> different.

i don't see why it wouldn't...