smbfs, smbfsx, smbclient

I'm running a 2.2.1 kernel, but I can't get smbmount to work. I'm trying
to do it over a dial-up connection, but I'm pretty sure it used to work
before I upgraded from 2.0.36.

Now I can't even find smbclient, and I can't find what package contains
it.

I understand there's been some syntax change between smbfs and smbfsx,
but the man page apparently doesn't match reality (the man says
"smbmount" but the program I find on my system is "smbmount-2.2.x",
etc), so I don't know whether my problems are because I'm following
out-dated man information or what.

My basic questions are these:
 1) Do I need both the smbfs and the smbfsx packages? Or just one or the
other? DOes it hurt to have both installed?

 2) Where can I find the smbclient so that I can do some additional
testing? The "locate" command doesn't find it.

 3) What is the currently correct syntax to connect to a WinNT share?
The share is named "//big_guy/common" and the username is "westk" and
the mount point I want to use is "/NetShare".

 4) Will the smbmount (or smbmount-2.2.x) command work over a dial-up
connection? The dial-up connection is provided by my university, and
that's where the server is located. My local IP (provided by the dial-up
connection) has the same first two octets (150.252.x.x) as the rest of
campus, but the third octet (and probably forth, but not necessarily) is
different.

Thanks!