Re: Frontpage extensions?

Corey Ralph [corey@net-tech.com.au] wrote:
> I am looking into the possibility of transfering an NT/IIS based webserver
> over to apache on debian 2.1, the only thing I need to confirm is that the
> frontpage extenstions will be available and equal to the NT versions.
>
> A couple things:
>
> I have read about exploits in them, supposedly worse in the unix versions than
> in NT.  Is there anything to worry about there?

If I remember correctly, if you use the front page extensions you have to
run the web server as root, which is a Bad Idea security wise.  I don't
know that that is /worse/ than on NT, but it's certainly worse potential
for damage than you'd otherwise have with Apache.

> With apache, will it be a drop-in replacement for an NT server?  Does it provide
> all the 'webbots' and scripts e.g the hit counter etc?

Erm... all the functionality is there, especially if you add perl, php,
etc, but they are done different ways than with NT... much much better ways
IMHO.  If you're switching to Linux from NT you of course have reasons for
doing so, and for most of those reasons it will also make sense to set up
your web server "the Linux way" instead of bringing NT's baggage along with
you.

--
Jeremy Blosser   |   jblosser@firinn.org   |   http://jblosser.firinn.org/