Re: Getting there

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Christian Dysthe wrote:

> 1. Netscape doesn't even need many comments. It us unstable and full of bugs
> under Linux. It works, but it does crash, alot! Always has under Linux. And I
> do not want lynx! :)

I've heard kfm, KDE's built in browser, is pretty decent, but I haven't
used it extensively myself.  It may or may not run without the rest of
KDE, though.  But what problems are you having with Netscape?  There seem
to be fixes or workarounds for most of them.  The libc5 versions (no
longer available as .deb packages) seem to be the most stable.

> 2. Linux people tell me to use mutt or pine or elm or whatever, but I do
> not want that. I want something like Outlook Express, The Bat! or even Eudora.
> But there is no such thing! A combo consisting of XFmail, exim and
> fetchmail is the only solution that comes close to those Win MUA's in my
> opinion.

I've never seen Outlook Express, so I don't know what it is that you are
missing, but there are probably Unix solutions out there.  Personally, I
have all of my accounts forward to one mailbox, and then use fetchmail to
poll that one.  fetchmail could just as easily hit each mailbox
individually.  Then I use procmail to filter out spam and sort into
seperate folders, and read them with pine.  This is everything I need,
and I see no particular reason to roll it all into one program.