source packages (was Re: communicator 4.6 - ftp bug)

*- On 18 Jun, Colin Marquardt wrote about "Re: communicator 4.6 - ftp bug"
> * Rick Macdonald <rickmacd@home.com> writes:
>
>> Now it downloads the sane diff file as 17KB compressed, but I have to add
>> the .gz suffix to the filename in the netscape dialog or rename after.
>> Netscape seems to insist on stripping the extension.
>
> I have seen this behaviour without adding any MIME stuff. If anyone
> knows, it should be the folks at http://www.ufaq.org (the Netscape
> Unofficial FAQ). I haven´t checked, as wget or pavuk are much nicer.

I just discovered that apt has support for downloading the source
packages, extracting them and building a binary in one simple command.
All you need to do is add an appropiate line to your sources.list.
Basically it is the same as a binary URI line except that it starts
with deb-src. If you are running slink and want to compile a potato
package the just change the distribution to potato and it will grab the
potato source.(of course rtfm on apt, apt-get and sources.list)

deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian slink main contrib non-free
deb-src ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian potato main contrib non-free

Then run apt-get update and call apt-get like

% apt-get source hello
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Need to get 92.9kB of source archives.
Get:1 http://debian.midco.net potato/main hello 1.3-14.3 (dsc) [619B]
Get:2 http://debian.midco.net potato/main hello 1.3-14.3 (tar) [87.7kB]
Get:3 http://debian.midco.net potato/main hello 1.3-14.3 (diff) [4619B]
Fetched 92.9kB in 18s (4908B/s)
dpkg-source: extracting hello in hello-1.3

If you add the --compile option you get a package built from the source

% apt-get --compile source hello
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Need to get 92.9kB of source archives.
Get:1 http://debian.midco.net potato/main hello 1.3-14.3 (dsc) [619B]
Get:2 http://debian.midco.net potato/main hello 1.3-14.3 (tar) [87.7kB]
Get:3 http://debian.midco.net potato/main hello 1.3-14.3 (diff) [4619B]
Fetched 92.9kB in 19s (4757B/s)
dpkg-source: extracting hello in hello-1.3
[output from hello-1.3/debian/build & binary]
dpkg-deb: building package `hello' in `../hello_1.3-14.3_i386.deb'.

Very cool!!!

--
Brian