Re: Using more than one ISP

Anthony Campbell <acampbell@achc.demon.co.uk> wrote:
=> Is there any easy way of maintaining access to more than one ISP
=> without
=> re-writing the config files for smail and ppp?  At present I use a
=> spare
=> computer for this but it's not very convenient.

Here's what I do (and I use Demon too!):

I have 9menu installed so that when I click on wmppp on my Window Maker
Dock I get a menu appearing which is a list of IPs I use. I hope members
of the list will forgive the small inclusion of a jpeg, but I really
feel 9menu adds a great deal of flexibility to an X system and I have
heard of few people who use it.

The config file for this menu is very simple and calls up four scripts
in my home directory - dial.Demon, dial.Eidosnet etc.. When one of the
menu items is clicked on, the relevant script will be invoked to ensure
that all the configuration files are correct for that provider, then it
will issue the simple command 'pon'

An example of the dial.Demon script is as follows:

cp /etc/resolv.conf.demon /etc/resolv.conf
cp /etc/chatscripts/provider.demon /etc/chatscripts/provider
cp /etc/exim.conf.demon /etc/exim.conf

As I said, very simple and it works great. Very easy to add future IPs
too.

If you would like me to send other examples please get back to me.

--
Phillip Deackes
gsmh@gmx.net