Re: Netscape crashing -- a lot.

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Michael Talbot-Wilson wrote:

> > On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Craig McPherson wrote:
> >
> > > Are any of the earier versions of Netscape more stable than 4.6?
> > > I'm willing to use whatever is stable.  I haven't yet tried earlier
> > > Netscapes.
> >
> > same thing happens to me with 4.51 and 4.08, both linked with glibc2.  i
> > think it's a glibc2.1 issue.
> >
> > anyone have libc5 debian packages for 4.08/51/6?
>
> It's not glibc2.  Netscape 4.6 (Potato) runs fine, at least if you have
> a Cirrus CL-GD5446 (PCI), kernel 2.2.9 and plenty of RAM.  Look for
> something else.  And I don't think it's the window manager.  At least,
> Netscape's okay on Enlightenment.
>
> Have you tried the SVGA X server (acceleration off)?  Does XF86Setup
> find any parameters specific to your card?  Have you upgraded XFree86 to
> glibc2?

I don't think it's an XFree86 issue -- same things occur when running
netscape over VNC.  Blackbox is my window manager.  All problems vanish
when using libc5 version of communicator 4.08.  Specific (repeatable)
problems were:  bus error when closing one window; bus error when using
sites protected with basic auth; bus error when selecting menu item in
large (50+ item) pop-up menus.  None of these I've seen with the libc5
version.

I'm running potato current as of a few days ago on a Libretto 100CT, SVGA
server using Neomagic chipset, kernel 2.2.10, 64MB RAM.  Everything's
glibc2.1 that can be.

-thomas

EF D8 33 68 B3 E3 E9 D2  C1 3E 51 22 8A AA 7B 98 umbra (!)