Re: ftp/telnet fails since upgrade

Your subject line sounds a lot like something that just happened for me:
Note: *this is not a complaint or cry for help -- just potentially
useful information*

After upgrading to potato, I tried some of the various telnet offerings:
regular, SSL, and '98.  (The latter two sound suspiciously similar.)
Anyway, somewhere along the line one deleted my /usr/bin/telnet file.
Now, regardless of which is installed, I only get a
/usr/bin/telnet.nossl file.  That means that there's *no telnet* command
available, but you can use "telnet.nossl" if you want. (I also thought that
was an interesting choice of filename when the SSL version is
installed.)  Well, I currently have the SSL flavor installed and a
symlink in /usr/local/bin/telnet to /usr/bin/telnet.nossl.  Using that,
it seems that there *is* ssl, contrary to this name ^^^^^.

Another variation between them all is the name of the telnet daemon.
Some install /usr/sbin/in.telnetd.nossl (currently installed -
telnetd-SSL), some leave off the "in." prefix, and some leave off the
".nossl" suffix, I think.  This wouldn't be such a big deal, except none
of them updates the entry in /etc/inetd.conf.  That must be done by
hand, and a -HUP sent to the inetd process to make it use the new
telnetd.  Otherwise, you get "Connection closed by foreign host" when
inetd can't find the telnetd file.

I thought all this was especially interesting since I have another
potato machine that hasn't had any of these problems.  Maybe it's just
not completely updated, or maybe I did something wrong this time.

Hope this helps someone,
Jesse

--
Jesse Jacobsen, Pastor          jjacobsen@jvlnet.com