Re: ftp/telnet fails since upgrade

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Bruce Chapman wrote:

> >longer ftp or telnet to my machine. ("421 Service not available, remote
> >server has closed connection", and "Connection closed by foreign host").
>
> In /etc/hosts.deny try commenting out the line ALL: PARANOID

The problem was not ALL: PARANOID, it was ALL: ALL. (Which I placed there
myself.) Funny, in my redhat days, and Debian 2.1 days as well, I believe,
having ALL: ALL in hosts.deny and ALL: 192.168.1.* in hosts.allow worked
perfectly. hosts.allow was supposed to override hosts.deny. When did this
change?

Thanks for everyone's help, do you think I should post a summary of
suggestions for someone with a similar problem in the future? I'll do that
this weekend, or Friday.

I have also installed dhis, and it works perfectly, circumventing my ISP's
firewalls as well... No more hiding behind them, I now have to worry about
my own security. What do most people place in their hosts.allow and
hosts.deny files?

Hugo van der Merwe