Re: configure compiler to core dump

On Thu, Jun 17, 1999 at 01:22:28AM +1000, Shao Zhang wrote:

> 	On some unix machines, when it seg faults, the compiler
> 	will say something segmentation fault(core dumped). Then the
> 	compiler will write a file core in the current dir.

> 	On my linux machine, when it segmentation faults, it does not
> 	do that. It only saids sengmentation fault, and no core is dumped.

That's not the compiler doing that - there is a limit on the size of
core files that can be dumped, and a lot of Linux systems default this
to 0.  Say "ulimit -c <somenumber>" in bash to raise the limit.  Note
that for security reasons you can't get core dumps from processes
running suid or sgid.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/