custom kernel won't boot

Hi,

	I just compiled my first custom kernel last night. Now, when I reboot, my computer freezes after LILO (I assume) prints out "Loading Linux...." It never gets to "Uncompressing kernel...."

	Originally, I installed Debian 2.1-stable, kernel 2.0.36, from CD. Then, in order to get my PCMCIA network card to work, I had to install the pcmcia-cs package from unstable (because the version of pcmcia-cs in stable - 3.0.5 - does not support my particular card). At the time, the version of pcmcia-cs in unstable was 3.0.9. That worked fine.

	Next, I wanted APM and PPP support so I installed:

- kernel-source 2.0.36
- kernel-package 6.05
- fakeroot
- pcmcia-source 3.0.12
- pcmcia-cs 3.0.12

I soon discovered that the new version of pcmcia-cs, 3.0.12, had a dependency on the latest version of libc - libc6 2.6.11 - which 3.0.9 did not. I installed the new libc, which triggered a whole bunch of new dependencies. When the smoke cleared, I had the latest versions of gcc, g++, libstdc++, amongst others.

	Finally, I followed the installation instructions on the Debian site to compile my new kernel. Interestingly, I can't use 'make menuconfig' because lxdialog crashes with a seg fault. So I used 'make config' to configure my kernel, built it with 'make-kpkg --revision=custom.2.0.36 kernel_image'. I also built new modules with 'make-kpkg modules_image'. I installed the 2 .deb's that were produced, as well as pcmcia-cs 3.0.12 itself. Now the system won't boot (I can boot from floppy).

	Is there any way to fix this? If you need more info to answer that question, please let me know. I will be very grateful for any help.

	Thanks,
	Michael