Re: Sound-HOWTO docs wrong; what next?

Kent West wrote:

> I've recompiled my kernel in order to get sound working. Now when I
> reboot I can see messages about my sound card, so I went back to the
> documentation to see how to test the sound.
>
> "The Linux Sound HOWTO; Installation (p15 of 26)", section 4.3 states
> that there should be a "/dev/sndstat" file.
>
> There isn't one.

that´s normal, if sound isn´t working yet.

> It says it can be created by using the short script at the "end of the
> file Readme.linux in the directory /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound".
>
> There is no such directory.

it will be there, as soon as you´ve created a link from /usr/src/linux
to /usr/src/kernel-source-2.1.1 ;-)
it´s not necessary, but usefull. some programms, eg. alsa, persist of
such´n link. a drawback: you have to repoint the link to the new
kernel-source, if you upgrade.

and that´s the first you should do. get the now released 2.2.10.

> However, I surmised that the /usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.1/drivers/sound
> would be equivalent. Nonetheless, there is no "Readme.linux" in this
   ^
  yes, it´s the same

> directory, and the two READMEs that are there don't have such a script
> (at least not that I can recognize).

you´re right. i remember i´ve seen such a file in 2.0.36 and can´t it
see now in my 2.2.9. but you´re lucky: this script is by no means
´debianish´. if executed, it creates some devices in /dev which are not
suited for debian.

instead of that, got to /dev and execute ./MAKEDEV audio as root. (or
use fakeroot)

> I installed saytime as a test program; it appears to run, but I hear
> nothing.

later, if cat /dev/sndstat shows your sound is working

> I still don't quite get how modules work, so I'm sure I've just gotten
> something screwed up, and in conjunction with faulty documentation (the
> aforementioned Sound HOWTO), I'm at a loss.

the howto´s should be used as clue-guide only, imho.

> I've clued in enough to the various posts that I know there's such
> commands as lsmod, insmod, rmmod, and modprobe, and I've tinkered around
> with them, but haven't had much luck. The lsmod shows: vmnet, vmmon,
> binfmt-aout, vfat, and fat. I've tried to "insmod sb" (guessing that
> "sb" means "SoundBlaster") and "insmod sound", but there's "no module
> found by that name".

so do you own a soundblaster? which sort of?

hafi