Re: Sound-HOWTO docs wrong; what next?

Hartmut Figge wrote:
Thanks for the response! I really appreciate it. Comments dispersed
throughout below:

> Kent West wrote:
> >
> > I've recompiled my kernel in order to get sound working. Now when I
> > reboot I can see messages about my sound card, so I went back to the
> > documentation to see how to test the sound.
> >
> > "The Linux Sound HOWTO; Installation (p15 of 26)", section 4.3 states
> > that there should be a "/dev/sndstat" file.
> >
> > There isn't one.
>
> that´s normal, if sound isn´t working yet.
>
> > It says it can be created by using the short script at the "end of the
> > file Readme.linux in the directory /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound".
> >
> > There is no such directory.
>
> it will be there, as soon as you´ve created a link from /usr/src/linux
> to /usr/src/kernel-source-2.1.1 ;-)
> it´s not necessary, but usefull. some programms, eg. alsa, persist of
> such´n link. a drawback: you have to repoint the link to the new
> kernel-source, if you upgrade.

So it's just a link, not an old way of doing things?

> and that´s the first you should do. get the now released 2.2.10.

I mistyped; the kernel I'm running is 2.2.1.

> > However, I surmised that the /usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.1/drivers/sound
> > would be equivalent. Nonetheless, there is no "Readme.linux" in this
>    ^
>   yes, it´s the same

Good; I'm glad to know that for sure.

> > directory, and the two READMEs that are there don't have such a script
> > (at least not that I can recognize).
>
> you´re right. i remember i´ve seen such a file in 2.0.36 and can´t it
> see now in my 2.2.9. but you´re lucky: this script is by no means
> ´debianish´. if executed, it creates some devices in /dev which are not
> suited for debian.

Yea! In that case, I'm glad the script wasn't there. But does that mean
that Debian isn't following the "standard", or that the documentation
isn't? Or maybe that's a nonsense question, and I just don't know enough
yet to know that it's a nonsense question?

> instead of that, got to /dev and execute ./MAKEDEV audio as root. (or
> use fakeroot)

Okay! Now I have a /dev/sndstat. (Would that really have been too hard
to put in the HOWTO? Or maybe it depends on the distribution you're
running?)

> > I installed saytime as a test program; it appears to run, but I hear
> > nothing.
>
> later, if cat /dev/sndstat shows your sound is working

"cat /dev/sndstat" lists several categories, such as "Card config:.
"Audio devices:", etc, but there's nothing under each category. My guess
is that my card is not properly configured or there would be info in
each spot.

> > I still don't quite get how modules work, so I'm sure I've just gotten
> > something screwed up, and in conjunction with faulty documentation (the
> > aforementioned Sound HOWTO), I'm at a loss.
>
> the howto´s should be used as clue-guide only, imho.

I'm learning that.

> > I've clued in enough to the various posts that I know there's such
> > commands as lsmod, insmod, rmmod, and modprobe, and I've tinkered around
> > with them, but haven't had much luck. The lsmod shows: vmnet, vmmon,
> > binfmt-aout, vfat, and fat. I've tried to "insmod sb" (guessing that
> > "sb" means "SoundBlaster") and "insmod sound", but there's "no module
> > found by that name".
>
> so do you own a soundblaster? which sort of?

No. I don't have the documentation in front of me (it's an office
machine and I'm at home now); it's something like "ESS-blahblah", but I
"think" it's supposed to be SB-compatible. It's standard fare in a
Gateway2000 E3000 Pentium-class box. I'm not sure I chose the correct
settings during the "make menuconfig" portion of all this, but I figured
I'd make my best guesses and learn from the experience.

> hafi

Again, thanks for the help; this helps get me started again.