Hex Numbers after kernel compile

I just recompiled my kernel in an effort to get sound working. Just
after the LILO display, several lines (20-30?) of (4-digit, IIRC) hex
numbers scroll by in a single column. Then the normal boot process
continues. I get an error about vmmon (VMWARE), and maybe others that I
haven't noticed, but the machine appears to be pretty much okay (except
that I still don't have sound and my VMWARE is broken).

My real question is this: are the hex numbers normal on some compiles,
or have I done something wrong? (I know you probably can't tell me what
is wrong; but can you verify that something is indeed wrong, or are the
numbers normal behaviour?)

Thanks.