Re: [Installing Bo Debian on a 386 2 meg RAM?]

Francois-Nicola Demers <Demers@IRO.UMontreal.CA> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have tried to install the Debian Bo distribution on my 386 with only
> 2 megs of RAM without success.  Some people told me that they have been able to
> install it even if the machine does not have the 4 meg of RAM required.
>
> I have not been able to boot because the installation stopped saying
> that 4 meg of RAM is necessary.
>
> Please explain me what boot parameters must be given to overcome the 4
> meg requirement.  Is it possible to put swap on before booting?

It is easier to use a minimal distribution like

mulinux,
smalllinux,
etc.

follow links from: http://smalllinux.netpedia.net/

I bet it is possible to convert such a system to Debian by hand.
I didn't try to do it yet.

HTH,

Jens

P.S.: Please vote against Spam! At
             http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/
(Sorry Europeans only)
---
Jens.Ritter@weh.rwth-aachen.de   grimaldi@debian.org
Key ID: 2048/E451C639 Jens Ritter
Key fingerprint: 5F 3D 43 1E 24 1E CC 48  1E 05 93 3A A7 10 73 37