RE: PS/2 mouse rolling away

On Monday, June 14, 1999 2:04 PM,  Raymond A. Ingles [SMTP:inglesra@frc.com]
wrote:
>  Hmm. In my experience mice die more frequently than any other part on a
> computer. If you can get another one to try, I'd suggest doing so. If you
> have Windows installed, does the mouse do the same thing there?
>  If you're sure it's not a hardware problem, you could try recompiling the
> kernel or the module, I suppose.

Its interesting that this has come up so recently.  I had a 3 button mouse
systems ps/2 mouse that just stopped working last week, no matter if I set
it up to use the ps/2 port, or put the hardware adapter on it and stuck it
on ttyS1.  Whenever I would start X or run gpm, it would freeze the console
up. (no apparent keyboard input).  Of course, I could ssh in and kill the
process and that would unfreeze the console (though the keyboard sometimes
got a little crazy...numlock not working or stuff like that).

But I had never heard of mice dying like that, nor had I lost one in the
last 5 or so years.  What causes it?

ciao

Jonathan
~