Re: smail immediate delivery

* daboul@SG.tau.ac.il wrote:
> smail used to work on my 'slink'-debian system to my full
> satisfaction: incoming mail was delivered into my INBOX
> /var/spool/mail/$USER immediately and xbiff beeped.
>
> Now this changed (apparently after I installed a few packages from
> 'potato' to get licq version 0.61). Incoming mail now remains in
> /var/spool/smail/input for too long. I don't now how long since it
> doesn't seem to be the parameter supplied in the options ( -q10m )
> which I changed temporarily to 1s without result.
>
> In short, I don't understand what happened and I didn't succeed to
> solve the problem.
>
> Anyone can help?

AFAIK, smail will not work properly with libc later than 2.0.7t.  I
had the same problem as you and was forced to switch to exim.  But I
don't regret the switch because exim is an actively supported MTA that
performs better and is easier to configure than exim anyway.  I
recommend you make the switch as well.

BTW, there is currently 1 grave outstanding bug on smail, and the
problem you described has also been reported as a bug 253 days ago.  I
don't think it'll ever be fixed.  Just switch to exim.

Max

--
The hopeful depend on a world without end
Whatever the hopeless may say